|University||Nanyang Technological University (NTU)|
|Subject||BF2302 International Tax And Trading Law Case Study|
BF2302 International Tax And Trading Law Case Study, NTU, Singapore: Should Merlion Bank And Kookaburra Bank Make Payment Under The Letter Of Credit
Phua Chu Kang Ltd (PCK) is a leading commodity trading company headquartered in Singapore.
Crocodile Dundee Ltd (CD) is a company that processes, packs and sells soybeans from over 20 farms across Australia.
PCK purchased 100 metric tons of “Australian grown non-GMO (non-Genetically Modified) soybeans” from CD. The purchase was made under a CIF contract, goods to be shipped to Hong Kong from Port Kembla, New South Wales, Australia, latest date of shipment, March 15, 2018.
Scenario 1: Should Merlion Bank and Kookaburra Bank make payment under the Letter of Credit? Please cite relevant provisions of the UCP (if any) to support your answer. (2 marks)
Hire a Professional Essay & Assignment Writer for completing your Academic Assessments
Scenario 2 : Can Merlion Bank rescind the letter of credit and recover the sums of money paid out? Consider in your answer, the decision in Bank of China Ltd, Singapore Branch v BP Singapore Pte Ltd  SGHC 120. ( 10 marks)
Question 3 –
- Does the UN Convention on the International Sale of Goods (“CISG”) apply to PCK’s contract with CD? Would your analysis change if the goods were electrical irons? How about if PCK was a company incorporated and doing business in the United Kingdom? (8 marks)
- If the CISG applies, advise PCK of any breach by CD of its duties under the CISG for the non-conforming goods. (4 marks)
- Can PCK can claim damages and avoid the contract under the CISG? (8 marks)
Would your analysis in (iii) change if:
(a) PCK’s own employee had forgotten to send the soybeans for immediate testing in the laboratory, but only remembered to do so 2 months after their arrival in Hong Kong? (8 marks)
(b) The original batch of soybeans grown had been destroyed due to a freak weather occurrence in Australia, and CD had no choice but to replace them before delivery with genetically modified soybeans? (6 marks)
- What about specific performance in this situation? Of the two potential remedies (damages and specific performance), which in your opinion, is the better one for PCK to seek? (6 marks)
Question 4 –
Taking all the above facts into consideration (as well the advice of CD’s lawyers), discuss whether the Singapore High Court is likely to grant a stay of action in CD’s application on the basis that Singapore is a forum non-conveniens, and what legal principles, facts and considerations will be taken into account in making its decision. In addressing the various issues, you may wish to refer to the cases of Spiliada Maritime Corporation v Cansulex Ltd  AC 460 and JIO Minerals FZC and others v Mineral Enterprises Ltd  SGCA 41.
Buy Custom Answer of This Assessment & Raise Your Grades
Calling all Nanyang Technological University (NTU) students! Struggling with your BF2302 International Tax and Trading Law Case Study? Look no further than our specialized assignment help in Singapore! We offer expert assistance for TMA, individual assignments, and essay writing services tailored to your academic needs. Whether it's analyzing complex scenarios like the one regarding Merlion Bank and Kookaburra Bank's payment under the Letter of Credit or delving into intricate legal concepts, our proficient professionals are here to support you. Singaporean students can trust our experts to navigate challenging courses. Don't let assignments overwhelm you—reach out for exceptional guidance today.
- BUS341 Business Negotiation: An International Perspective Case Study, MU, Singapore: What went wrong ( from an intercultural communication perspective )
- SOC263 Sociology of Education, SUSS, Singapore: There is no power relation without the correlative constitution of a field of knowledge, nor any knowledge
- English Essay, NTU, Singapore: Meritocracy has been upheld as a significant tenet of Singapore society. However, many critics argue
- Mechanical Engineering & Technology (topic strength of materials) Other, NTU, Singapore: A simply supported beam of a square cross-section of side 100mm with a uniform distributed
- Ports And Terminals Management Assignment, SUSS, Singapore: Perform A Study On The Effect/Impact Of Oil Price On The Demand For Offshore Support Vessels (PSV/AHTSV) And/Or Mobile Offshore Drilling Units
- Mobile system and security Other, KU, Singapore: AMY Networks is a consultancy business that designs, installs, and operates different types of wireless and wired networks
- FIN2001S Economics and Market Innovations Assignment, UCD, Singapore: Discuss how can the mentioned multisided company use technology effectively to enhance business performance
- MGMT415 Airline Management Assignment, SUSS, Singapore: Turkish Airlines Define Revenue Drivers, Cost Structures, The Importance Of Ancillary (Non-Flying) Revenues, The General Level Of Annual Profitability
- School of Diploma – PHRM: Individual Assignment Assignment, NYP, Singapore: DNR Wheels Pte Ltd is a leading provider of disability and rehabilitative equipment including
- BM1987 Employment law Assignment, NYP, Singapore: The ability to provide a clear and accurate summary of background, scope and coverage of the Employment
UP TO 15 % DISCOUNT
Get Your Assignment Completed At Lower Prices