|University||National University of Singapore (NUS)|
|Subject||Managing Employment Relationship|
Managing Employment Relationship Course Work, NUS, Singapore How can the company improve its policies and procedures so that all staff feel they can adequately voice their concerns and get resolution to problems
1. How can the company improve its policies and procedures so that all staff
feel they can adequately voice their concerns and get resolution to problems?
2. What approach could the company take to resolve perceptions of unfairness relating to rates of pay, allocation of shifts, use of contractors, and overtime?
Starfish Oil is a European Oil company with its HO situated in Norway and other key subsidiary sites based in Scotland and Singapore. Due to a downturn in the North Sea Oil Sector (connected to global oil prices and high extraction costs), the company has been increasingly turning its attention to production in Asian oil fields.
Buy Custom Answer of This Assessment & Raise Your Grades
Pressure has been on the company to cut costs while increasing production in Asia, but at the same time, there is a real need to retain skilled staff in order to resource valuable and profitable drilling, production, and support projects.
Starfish oil offer workers representation through an Enterprise Union. Relations between the company and union representatives have been good in the past, but up until now the union has only negotiated on non-substantive issues, not pay. Local staff in Singapore have informally complained to union reps that senior managers show ‘favouritism’ to key staff, offering the best shifts and opportunities for overtime.
However these complaints rarely progress to formal grievances, as this is not
encouraged within the company. One member of staff (engineer) reported “I ask for daytime shifts as I have a young family and my wife works as well, but they keep allocating me night shifts, I don’t know what to do, or who to speak to, I hate complaining as I don’t want to be seen as a trouble maker……but I also hate night shift. And some people get offered night shift as overtime and that’s a higher rate of pay, but I only get it as part of my standard hours, standard pay. I don’t think this is fair. Night shift is anti-social hours.”
Additionally one of the key issues in the workplace surrounds the use of temporary contractors.
Whilst the use of contractors is increasingly commonplace in the
industry, there are large differences in rates of pay, day rates are negotiated [by agencies] on a job by job basis – there is no negotiated standard rate of pay for contractors and little opportunity for job security or guaranteed hours. Again favoured staff are given the best contracts. Tensions in the workplace are running high and the most recent engagement survey conducted by the HRM team reveals low levels of job satisfaction and high levels of intention to quit amongst staff.
Hire a Professional Essay & Assignment Writer for completing your Academic Assessments
Unlock your academic potential at the National University of Singapore (NUS) with our exceptional services! Offering top-tier Singapore assignment help and renowned Top-rated Case Study Services in SG, our expert team is committed to supporting Singaporean students. Dive into the intricacies of Managing Employment Relationship Course Work with confidence. Explore how the company can enhance its policies and procedures, ensuring that every staff member feels empowered to voice their concerns and find resolutions. We're dedicated to your academic success, providing the guidance you need to excel in your coursework. Don't miss out—invest in your education today with our expert assistance
- GER688 Applied Research in Gerontology Assignment, SUSS, Singapore: A programme developer plans to come up with a service to provide counselling and guidance to older adults
- Gerontology Assignment, SUSS, Singapore: Care Shield Life is a long-term care insurance scheme that provides basic financial support should Singaporeans become severely disabled
- Mechanical Engineering System Assignment, SIT, Singapore: You are part of a team that has been sent to the South Pole for experiments on the acceleration of gravity in extreme latitudes
- Business Information Systems Assignment, SIMGE, Singapore: Computation of Salaries using Excel Sportitude Pte Ltd is a fast-growing local sports retailer that offers a wide range of high-performance sporting apparel
- Vacuum Technology Assignment, NTU, Singapore: How many pumps will you be using for your vacuum system and explain your answer? Name the pumps used
- Analogue Electronic Assignment, SUSS, Singapore: Develop a design for an eight-floor elevator. The inputs/outputs are shown below. The elevator displays the moving direction
- Managing Change Essay, NUS, Singapore: Discuss and give examples of how organizational culture can influence organizational change
- Biostatistics and Epidemiology Research Paper, NUS, Singapore: Find and collect a set or few sets of biomedical related data dengue fever, covid, HFMD, cancer, etc
- English Essay, SUSS, Singapore: Many modern Singaporean families have both parents working. Such dual-income families often result in children spending less
- Organizations in a Global Context Assignment, KU, Singapore: There are three characteristics of a “black swan” event – rarity, extreme impact, and retrospective predictability
UP TO 15 % DISCOUNT
Get Your Assignment Completed At Lower Prices